“Shelter” – Artwork Created During the Great Lock-down of 2020
The Burke Arts Council is pleased to announce
A CALL FOR ARTISTS
“SHELTER”- ARTWORK MADE DURING THE GREAT LOCKDOWN OF 2020
The Coronavirus is spreading around the globe and 95% of Americans are urged to stay home or shelter in place for the unforeseeable future. Some artists thrive in self-isolation while others may find this experience lonely and boring. Some of us may be grieving for friends or family.
Some of you may be commemorating the crisis while others are simply afforded precious time to develop lingering ideas. Throughout history, from the Black Death, Spanish Flu, and the AIDS crisis to name a few, art has always prevailed. Most artists assume one of four fundamental roles and some in combination: 1) They create a visual record of their time and place; 2) They help us see the world in new and innovative ways; 3) They make functional objects and structures more pleasurable by infusing them with beauty and meaning; 4) They give form to the immaterial ideas and feelings.
How has the lockdown changed what artistic role you find yourself? How has your current situation affected your artistic routine? Do you have the basic necessities for making art and if not, what concessions have you made?
What have you been creating during this time? We would love to know and we’re planning an exhibition around these creations! We all look forward to being together again so let’s share the creativity that inspired you during this pause!
- EXHIBITION TIMELINE: Fall, 2020
- Submission Deadline (extended): August 3, 2020
- Artists will be notified of acceptance via email by September 1, 2020.
- Delivery of accepted artwork: October 12 – 16.
- Opening Reception/ Exhibition Opens: Fall, 2020
- Pick-up of unsold artwork: TBA
- All artwork must have been made during or conceived of during the “Great Lockdown”.
- All art forms are welcome. Artists must be 18 years old or older.
- Maximum: three submissions.
- Two dimensional artwork must be appropriately framed using wire for hanging. Saw tooth hangers are not acceptable. Improperly presented work will not be accepted.
- Artwork is judged for selection by a committee of arts professionals. Prizes will be awarded.
- Insurance: Artwork will be covered under the Burke Arts Council’s insurance while on exhibit at the Burke Arts Council Gallery. Artwork is not insured by the BAC during transit.
- Commission: Thirty percent (30%) of all sold artwork goes to the Burke Arts Council to support our year round programming.
ONLINE SUBMISSION FORM: Please submit images (JPEGS Only, 72 dpi) and completed application form.
Please include an artist statement. Contact the Burke Arts Council for further information: 828-433-7282.