CALL FOR ARTISTS – 2019 PHOTOGRAPHY EXHIBITION
The Burke Arts Council in Historic Morganton, NC is pleased to announce a call for artists for the sixth annual photography exhibition.
September 13 – November 8, 2019
Join photographers from every corner of North Carolina and beyond for the Autumn Juried Photography Exhibition at the Burke Arts Council Gallery in Morganton, North Carolina.
AUTUMN PHOTOGRAPHY EXHIBIT TIMELINE:
- Entry Deadline: All entries must be received by Friday, August 2, at 5pm.
- Artists will be notified of acceptance via email by August 5.
- Delivery of accepted artwork: September 3, 4, 5, and September 9, & 10.
- The exhibit will run September 13 – November 8.
- Artist Reception and distribution of awards: Friday, September 13, 5-7pm. at the Burke Arts Council Gallery.
- STREET PHOTOGRAPHY
- BLACK & WHITE
- OVERALL BEST IN SHOW: $500
- First (In each category): $200
- Second (In each category): $100
- Honorable Mentions (One in each category)
- Overall best in the YOUTH Category (16 years and younger) will be recognized and awarded “Downtown Morganton Bucks”
ENTRY GUIDELINES AND FEES:
- All work must be original and never shown at the Burke Arts Council Gallery.
- No composite or mixed media images will be accepted.
Artwork is judged for selection by a committee of arts professionals.
Juror of Awards: Lonnie Crotts is an accomplished photographer who defines himself as a storyteller that uses photography’s unique ability to engage the world in discovery and bring us closer together. Lonnie’s work over the last 10 years has focused primarily on capturing the beauty of Burke County and the surrounding Blue Ridge mountains of western North Carolina. His photographs have been exhibited in galleries and exhibitions including the prestigious Appalachian Mountain Photography competition. Lonnie’s exhibited work included landscapes, nature, and black and white portraiture.
Lonnie’s passion for nature and photography lead to the Keep It Wild – Linville Gorge calendar project, a collaborative calendar project that advocated for the protection of the Linville Gorge Wilderness.
- FEES: A non-refundable entry fee of $15 for one entry or 5 entries for $50.
HOW TO APPLY:
- ONLINE APPLICATION: Can be found on our website: Please submit images (JPEGS Only, 72 dpi) and completed application form.
REGULAR MAIL: Please return the attached application form and a CD containing up to five images (JPEGS Only, 72 dpi) of your work to:
The Burke Arts Council 115 E Meeting Street Morganton, NC 28655.
Enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope for return of your images and notification letter (if desired). Notifications will be sent via email unless email address is not available.
Insurance: Artwork will be covered under the Burke Arts Council’s insurance while on exhibit at the Burke Arts Council Gallery. Artwork is not insured by the BAC during transit.
Commission: Thirty percent (30%) of all sold artwork goes to the Burke Arts Council to support our year round programming.
Framing: Artwork must be appropriately framed using white (or off-white, beige, light gray) mats and wire for hanging. Saw tooth hangers are not acceptable. Improperly presented work will not be accepted.
Minimum size: Sixteen inches (16”) must be the smallest dimension of the photograph (not including the frame and mat).
Maximum size is 44” on the longest dimension (not including the frame).
We reserve the right to deny the exhibition of inappropriate artwork.
A portion of this exhibit will be part of a traveling exhibition. Please indicate on the submission form if you would like your work to travel to be shown at additional venues in North Carolina at the close of the Burke Arts Council exhibit.
The exhibit will coincide with the 17th Annual October Oyster Outing being held on Saturday, October 19 at the arts council and on the Historic Courthouse Lawn in Downtown Morganton. The Oyster Outing is an annual favorite, attended by thousands of people from across the south.
This exhibit is planned and administered by the Burke Arts Council with support from the Downtown Morganton Main Street Office. Download the information and forms at: www.burkearts.org
Please contact the Burke Arts Council for further information: 828-433-7282.