CALL FOR ARTISTS – PHOTOGRAPHY EXHIBITION
The Burke Arts Council in Historic Morganton, NC is pleased to announce a call for artists for the fifth annual photography exhibition.
September 14 – November 16, 2018
Join photographers from every corner of North Carolina and beyond for the Autumn Photography Exhibition at the Burke Arts Council Gallery in Morganton, North Carolina.
Downtown Morganton is in the foothills of Western North Carolina with easy access from Charlotte, Greensboro or Asheville; located at Exit 105 on Interstate 40. US Highways 18 and 181, as well as US 64 and US 70 also intersect the city. In a recent issue, Southern Living Magazine called Morganton a small town we love, “this Foothills Blue Ridge Community is quickly gaining a reputation as a vibrant hub for dining and the arts.”
AUTUMN PHOTOGRAPHY EXHIBIT TIMELINE:
- Entry Deadline: All entries must be received by Friday, August 3 at 5pm.
- Artists will be notified of acceptance via email by August 10.
- Delivery of accepted artwork: September 4, 5, 6, and 10.
- The exhibit will run September 14 – November 16.
- Artist Reception and distribution of awards: Friday, September 14, 5-7pm. at The Burke Arts Council Gallery.
- CELESTIAL BODIES
- A SPLASH OF RED
- OVERALL BEST IN SHOW: $500
- First (In each category): $200
- Second (In each category): $100
- Honorable Mentions (One in each category)
- Overall best in the YOUTH Category (16 years and younger) will be recognized and awarded “Downtown Morganton Bucks”
4. ENTRY GUIDELINES AND FEES:
- All work must be original and never shown at the Burke Arts Council Gallery.
- No composite or mixed media images will be accepted.
- Artwork is judged for selection by a committee of arts professionals.
- The Juror of Awards: Giuliani Polinari Riley. Giuliana studied photography with Leigh Mosley, formerly photojournalist with the Washington Post and was the staff photographer with Rutherford Council Arts Council for over ten years. She has been a photography Instructor with Isothermal Community College, Spindale, NC, since 1980.
- FEES: A non-refundable entry fee of $15 for one entry or 5 entries for $50.
5. HOW TO APPLY:
- ONLINE APPLICATION: Please complete the form below and submit images (JPEGS Only, 72 dpi) .
- REGULAR MAIL: Please return 2018 ARTIST APPLICATION – pdf and a CD containing up to five images (JPEGS Only, 72 dpi) of your work to: The Burke Arts Council 115 E Meeting Street Morganton, NC 28655.
Enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope for return of your images and notification letter (if desired). Notifications will be sent via email unless email address is not available.
Insurance: Artwork will be covered under the Burke Arts Council’s insurance while on exhibit at the Burke Arts Council Gallery. Artwork is not insured by the BAC during transit.
Commission: Thirty percent (30%) of all sold artwork goes to the Burke Arts Council to support our year round programming.
Framing: Artwork must be appropriately framed using white (or off-white, beige, light gray) mats and wire for hanging. Saw tooth hangers are not acceptable. Improperly presented work will not be accepted.
Minimum size: Sixteen inches (16”) must be the smallest dimension of the photograph (not including the frame).
Maximum size is 44” on the longest dimension not counting the framing.
We reserve the right to deny the exhibition of inappropriate artwork.
A portion of this exhibit will be part of a traveling exhibition. Please indicate on the submission form if you would like your work to travel to be shown at additional venues in North Carolina at the close of the Burke Arts Council exhibit.
The exhibit will coincide with the 16th Annual October Oyster Outing being held on Saturday, October 20 at the arts council and on the Historic Courthouse Lawn in Downtown Morganton. The Oyster Outing is an annual favorite, attended by thousands of people from across the south.
This exhibit is planned and administered by the Burke Arts Council with support from the Downtown Morganton Main Street Office. Download the information and forms at: www.burkearts.org
Please contact the Burke Arts Council for further information: 828-433-7282.