ANNUAL PHOTOGRAPHY EXHIBITION CALL FOR ARTISTS
The Burke Arts Council in Historic Morganton, NC is pleased to announce a call for artists for the fourth annual photography exhibition.
August 24 – October 14, 2017
Join photographers from every corner of North Carolina and beyond for the Autumn Photography Exhibition at the Burke Arts Council Gallery in Morganton, North Carolina.
Downtown Morganton is in the foothills of Western North Carolina with easy access from Charlotte, Greensboro or Asheville; located at Exit 105 on Interstate 40. US Highways 18 and 181, as well as US 64 and US 70 also intersect the city. In a recent issue, Southern Living Magazine called Morganton a small town we love, “this Foothills Blue Ridge Community is quickly gaining a reputation as a vibrant hub for dining and the arts.”
- AUTUMN PHOTOGRAPHY EXHIBIT TIMELINE:
- Entry Deadline: All entries must be received by Monday July 17, at 5pm.
- Artists will be notified of acceptance via email by Tuesday, July 25.
- Delivery of accepted artwork: August 18 – 22
- The exhibit will run August 24 – October 14.
- Artist Reception and distribution of awards: Thursday, August 24, 5-7pm. at The Burke Arts Council Gallery coinciding with Downtown Morganton’s Tour d ’Art.
- WATER (Anything water…. fog, falls, lakes, streams, clouds, ice, etc.!)
- LINVILLE GORGE (capturing the beauty of this local treasure)
- IN THE MINIATURE (photos depicting macro, close-ups of objects and things around you).
- OVERALL BEST IN SHOW: $500
- First (In each category): $200
- Second (In each category): $100
- Honorable Mentions (One in each category)
- Overall best in the YOUTH Category (16 years and younger) will be recognized and awarded “Downtown Morganton Bucks”
- ENTRY GUIDELINES AND FEES:
- All work must be original, photographed in the last two years and never shown at the Burke Arts Council Gallery.
- No composite or mixed media images will be accepted.
- Artwork is judged for selection by a committee of arts professionals.
- Juror of Awards: Awards will be selected by Chip Williams, ASMP-NC Board, SPE, BEA. Associate Professor/Program Coordinator of Commercial Photography/ Department of Art @ Appalachian State University.
- FEES: A non-refundable entry fee of $15 for one entry or 5 entries for $50.
- HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR IMAGES:
REGULAR MAIL: Please return the completed application form and a CD containing up to five images (JPEGS Only, 72 dpi) of your work to: The Burke Arts Council 115 E Meeting Street Morganton, NC 28655. Enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope for return of your images and notification letter (if desired). Notifications will be sent via email unless email address is not available. Application Form (pdf) ARTIST CALL -photography 2017
- DIGITAL APPLICATION (ONLINE): Please submit images (JPEGS Only, 72 dpi) and completed application below:
- A portion of this exhibit will be part of a traveling exhibition. Please indicate on the submission form if you would like your work to travel and be shown at additional venues in North Carolina at the close of the Burke Arts Council exhibit.
- Insurance: Artwork will be covered under the Burke Arts Council’s insurance while on exhibit at the Burke Arts Council Gallery. Artwork is not insured by the BAC during transit.
- Commission: Thirty percent (30%) of all sold artwork goes to the Burke Arts Council to support our year round programming.
- Framing: Artwork must be appropriately framed using white (or beige, light gray) mats and wire for hanging. Saw tooth hangers are not acceptable. Improperly presented work will not be accepted.
- Size Restrictions: Minimum size: Fourteen inches (14”) must be the smallest dimension of the photograph. Please do not deliver 11” x 14” photographs.
- Maximum size is 44” on the longest dimension not counting the framing.
- We reserve the right to deny the exhibition of inappropriate artwork.
- This exhibit is planned and administered by the Burke Arts Council with support from the Downtown Morganton Main Street Office. Download the information and forms at: www.burkearts.org
- Please contact the Burke Arts Council for further information: 828-433-7282.